What is Domestic Abuse?
How big is it?
- 8.3% of women and 4% of men were estimated to have experienced domestic abuse in 2014/2015, equivalent to an estimated 1.3 million female and 600,000 male victims.
- 27.1% of women and 13.2% of men had experienced any domestic abuse since the age of 16. These figures were equivalent to an estimated 4.5 million female victims of domestic abuse and 2.2 million male victims between the ages of 16 and 59.
- Domestic abuse accounts for about ¼ (23%) of all violent crime in the England and Wales
- An average of 2 women are killed by their partner or ex-partner each week.
What is Coercive Control?
- Other abuse – used to harm, punish or frighten victims
- Isolating them from sources of support
- Exploiting their resources and capacities for personal gain
- Depriving them of the means needed for independence, resistance or escape
- Regulating everyday behaviour
Domestic Abuse – Everyone’s Business
- Find out information about local specialists services and help.
- Offer any practical help you are able to, such as the use of your telephone or address for information or messages.
- Offer help to protect them. For example, you could offer to inform the police or support agencies on their behalf or encourage them to talk to a counsellor.
- As an employer, show executive commitment and workplace policy to prevent domestic violence, to support employees affected by domestic violence, including referral to specialist services.
- Speak up when you hear or see attitudes or behaviours that support violence against women.
- Provide promotional materials and information to help raise awareness of domestic violence.
Support for Victims of Domestic Abuse
If you have been a victim of domestic abuse you can find help through the directory on the left-hand side. This support can involve a help line where you can receive practical or emotional support, face to face support, group work and/ or counselling to help you cope and recover from the impact of the crime.
More information on domestic abuse and ways you can get support can be found on the website below: